The Sword and the Stars
Sequence of Play
Before play: vote on the status of LA'DAU
- Event Chit Segment
- The Rounds
- Stargate Maintenance
- Vote to End the Game
- End of the Game-Turn
Effects of Range
Add 1 Resource Point (RP) for each System on Raid or Conquest.
Subtract 1 from Effectiveness Rating (ER) for each System.
|Tech Level of Base||Max Range for Interstellar Operations|
|3|| 3 systems or less|
|2|| 2 systems or less|
|<=1|| Adjacent system only|
Stargate is equivalent to making the Base adjacent to every
target and costs +1 RP whenever used. However, if both Base
*and* Target have Stargates, added RP cost is 0. There is
never a range penalty to ER due to Stargate, but Base Tech
Level of at least 2 is necessary.
|26||1||Solitaire empire building|
|27||2||Two small empires clash|
|28||3||Three systems, one per corner of the board|
|29||3-5||Large empire in center surrounded by hostile neighbors|
|30||3-5||Smaller empire in revolt surrounded by hostile neighbors|
|31||4-5||Five more or less equal empires (most balanced)|
|32||5||Five larger "equal" empires|
|33||3-4||Smaller empires after Draka have struck (very good for 4)|
|34||4-5||Tiny former empire makes a comeback against larger neighbors|
|35||2-5||Grand scenario in which players enter randomly|
Notes to keep in mind
- Exploitation automatically reduces Tech Level by 1.
- Stargates may only be used by the owning player.
- Raiders and Outworlders may attack other than adjacent systems.
- After the DraKa have come and gone, a 6 is treated as a normal Outworlder.
- Don't spend for Range on Communications although it still subtracts.
Subtle Differences with Empires of the Middle Ages
- Tech Level Norm has no effect on Tech Level Maximum; it is always +3.
Tech Level of +4 is not allowed.
- Sector Checks affect only the branch of government currently in use.
- Seats may be changed to areas of different ideology in the following
order of priority:
- same race/same ideology
- same race/related ideology
- same race/unrelated ideology
- Players may not return from exile via Raiders or Outworlders.
- The number of owned Confederation systems is added to the Diplomatic
Sector in Special Sessions. Atjay is worth 5 votes.
- Atjay Tech Level always increases unless affected by Genocide or at
+3 (at the beginning of each round).
- Event chits are not replaced until all 50 have been drawn.
- Diplomatic Success B chits affect a group of the same ideology.
- Tech Level is added to the die roll in Raid/Exploitation attempts.
- Range for Conquest, Raid and Communication Endeavors is based on
Tech Level limitations.
- Conquest has a basic cost of 1.
- Communications may be attempted from any owned system.
- T/C gives either a Trade Connection or a Conquest.
- Intercepts may be undertaken if a player's path runs through an owned
system. Thus, conceivably, several players could conduct intercepts
against a single operation.
- Partial Conquest markers reduce by their number the owning player's ER
when undertaking Stellar operations and also reduce Tax Value.
- Atjay may not be converted or colonized. When Stellar operations are
undertaken, Rebellion checks are made.
- If the final modified Conversion Differential is 5 or less, then all
independent systems of that specific Ideology are converted.
- To colonize, each Base must be capable of undertaking an Interstellar
Operation against the Target.
- The LA'DAU vote is made at the outset of each scenario.
Sword and the Stars Terms
|event chit|| event card|
|exploitation || plunder|
|government sectors || leader statures|
|raid || pillage|
|communicate || diplomacy|
|guardian web|| fortification|
|govern || rule|
|stargate || ---|
|planet number|| population|
|race || language|
|raider || raider|
|resource points ||gold|
|star system ||area|
|target system ||target area|
|tech level ||social state|
|total war ||--- (Crusade)|
|unrest & rebellion ||unrest & rebellion|
|special sessions ||diplomatic parleys|
|trade connections|| diplomatic ties|
|draka || mongols|
|tech advance ||year of plenty|
|tech decline ||year of famine|
|revolt ||outbreak of heresy|
|tech failure ||epidemic|
|tech breakthrough ||---|
|government toppled ||leader dies heirless|
|lynlynan's syndrome ||plague|
|treaty signed ||recognition of claim|
|diplomatic success ||dynastic inheritance|
|confederation influence ||influence in church hierarchy|
|trade disrupt ||diplomatic coup|
|resource output grows ||enlargement of demesne|
|weapon advance ||weapons advance|
|tactical advance ||tactical systems|
|ideological fervor ||missionary fervor|
Tue Jan 26 11:22:14 PST 1999