Spotlight on Games > FAQ/Links
Frequently Asked Questions
These "yellow pages" hope to quickly answer your questions.

3. Where can I find out more about all of these games?
Interact::

  • English:
         · spielfrieks
         · rec.games.board
         · rec.games.playing-cards
         · uk.games.board
         · aus.games
  • Deutsch:
         · de.rec.spiele.brett+karten
         · z-netz.freizeit.brettspiele
         · spielbox-online - Spielerforum
  • Français:
         · fr.rec.jeux.divers
         · fr.rec.jeux.cartes
         · fr.rec.jeux.societe
         · fr.rec.jeux.wargames
  • Italiano:
         · it.hobby.giochi
  • USENET reader with kill filters
    Webzines:
  • Boardgame-News
  • Academic Gaming Review
  • Fairplay on-line (D)
  • Game Cabinet
  • Game Report
  • Games Journal
  • Ludologie (D)
  • Spelmagazijn: Dutch · English
  • Spielbox (D)
    Magazines:
  • Abstract Games (Canada)
  • Counter (UK)
  • The Game Report (USA)
  • Gamer's Alliance Report (USA)
  • Games, Games, Games (UK)
  • Moves (USA)
  • Rail Gamer (USA)
  • Fairplay (D)
  • Spielbox (D)
  • Spielerei (D)
  • Spiel-Wiese (Ö)
    Translations: More and more publishers are placing their rules on their websites, so check there if all else fails.
    English:
  • this site
  • Alea (publisher)
  • BoardgameGeek
  • Brett and Board
  • Convivium
  • Doris & Frank (publisher)
  • Game Cabinet
  • Globetrotter Games
  • Krimsus (publisher)
  • Rio Grande Games (publisher)
  • UK Gamerz
    Français:
  • Club de stratégie
  • Bruno Faidutti
  • Ludism
    Español:
  • Juegos de tablero
    Japanese:
    Errata:
  • Regelkiste (D)
  • this site
    Databanks:
  • Association of Game & Puzzle Collectors
  • Big Game Hunter
  • Board Game Atlas
  • BoardgameGeek
  • BoardGameInfo
  • Card Games (pagat.com)
  • Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games
  • Google Board Game Search - searches only board games sites
  • Internet Top 100 Survey
  • Luding · search · new games · new reviews
  • LudoMu – virtual game museum (D)
  • Ludopedia.de
  • Play:Game (J)
  • unknowns.de
    News:
  • Brett and Board
  • Spelinfo (Nederlands)
  • Spielbox-Online (D)
  • Tecepa (Russian)
    Inventors:
  • Robert Abbott
  • Sylvie Barc
  • Frank Branham
  • Günter Burkhardt
  • Jay Cormier
  • Brigitte & Wolfgang Ditt
  • Stefan Dorra
  • Phil Eklund
  • Thomas Fackler
  • Bruno Faidutti
  • Friedemann Friese
  • Kory Heath
  • Reiner Knizia
  • Wolfgang Kramer
  • Matt Leacock
  • Sen-Foong Lim
  • Andrew McNeil
  • Andrea Meyer
  • Frank Nestel+Doris Matthäus
  • Karl Musser
  • David Parlett
  • Dave Ross (boardgameforge)
  • Michael Schacht
  • Eric Solomon
  • Klaus Teuber
  • Hartmut Witt
  • Pirates of Haven
  • Third Party Pages:
        · Reiner Knizia by Kevin Jacklin
        · Reiner Knizia by Chris Lawson
        · Sid Sackson by Bob Claster
        · Sid Sackson by Gamester
    Similars:
    Titled Sites:
  • Abstract Games
  • Age of Boards
  • aka pastor guy – Mark Jackson
  • Andrew's Game Page - Andrew Martin
  • Board Games Reviews by Josh
  • Board Games To Go – Mark Johnson
  • The Boardgaming Life – Mark D.
  • Convivium – Kevin Jacklin
  • Game Grounds
  • Gamepile – Dennis Matheson
  • Gamer's Notebook - Mike Siggins
  • Gamester
  • Games Gone By – Desi Scarpone
  • Game Zombies – Werner Fee
  • Gaming Ground – Matthew Chua
  • Geese's Dojo – Mark Blanco
  • Globetrotter Games – Carl-Gustaf Samuelsson
  • Graceful Boot – Vitas Povilaitis
  • Houston Gamers
  • Illuminating Games – Chris Farrell
  • Inconsequential Ruminations – Iain Cheyne
  • Kulkmann's G@mebox
  • Last Homely House – Aaron Fuegi
  • Less than Me – Jake Foster
  • The Mine Shaft Gap – the Aussies!
  • New Tao of Gaming – Brian Bankler
  • Pawnderings
  • playing and designing board games - Dave Ross
  • Sociedad Británica para el Conocimiento (Spanish)
  • Spielenswert.de – Sarah Kestering
  • Vintage Gamer
  • Westpark Gamers
    Personal Sites:
  • Chang, Eric
  • Edwards, Josh
  • Johnson, Mark
  • Pietschker, Lutz
  • Raab, Marvin
  • Rozmiarek, Ed
  • Saari, Mikko
  • Yehuda
  • Zuther, Jörg
    Non-English:
  • Brettspill fra Spillskrinet.no – Trond Braut (N)
  • Isao World Game Site (J)
  • Keirat, Andreas (D)
  • P'tits Jeux du Mercredi, Les (F)
  • Play:Game – Ro Sato (J)
  • Pelek, Roman (D)
  • Die Pöppelkiste – Brigitte & Wolfgang Ditt (D)
  • Spiel Mit Mir – Michael Prössel (D)
  • Table Games in the World – Takuya Ono (J)
    Defunct:
  • Gameviews – Steffan O'Sullivan
  • Railroad Games – Bill Ingram
    Mass Media Articles:
  • SF Chron annual game round up (11/30/09)
  • Marketing the biggest hurdle for game inventors (11/27/09)
  • Board games popular on Facebook (3/31/08)
  • How Games Might Help Your Brain (3/31/08)
  • Telegraph Ave. store is a fantasy zone (Oakland Tribune)
  • Biz Beyond Boardwalk (American Way)
  • Dragging a new board game to the table (Christian Science Monitor)
  • Boardgames Combat Dementia (CBS)
  • Wanting to be unlucky (BBC)
  • Ballplayers and Dominoes (SF Chronicle)
  • Board Games Over Video & Computer (Chicago Tribune)
  • Chicago Fair (Chicago Tribune)
  • Let the Games Begin (SF Downtown)
  • The PC Generation, Back to the Board (NY Times)
  • SF Chronicle
  • Knizia on NPR
  • Fox News
  • Women Dominate Web Gaming
  • More Articles (Game Report)
    General:
  • Boardgames a National Pastime?
  • History of Games Timeline
  • Convivial Conflicts: The Form, Culture and Play of Modern European Strategy Games (doctoral dissertation)
  • PrintPlayGames (print and play games)

    4. Which are the best games?
  • The Well-rounded Player
  • The Spiel des Jahres is the jury-awarded annual German game of the year prize. It tends to choose games accessible to hardcore and casual players alike.
  • The popularly-voted Deutscher Spiele Preis (German Game Prize) tends to choose the best game of the year for more experienced players.
  • The Internet Top 100 Survey tends to do the same thing for all games ever made.
  • The Best of the New Games is a sampling of this including only the most recent games.
  • The Boardgame Recommendation System is a collaborative filtering system that attempts to match your ratings with others. (Caveat: this kind of system really needs thousands of participants to work usefully.)
  • Spiel-Palast 2001 Games Poll (German)

    5. Where can I buy out-of-print games?
    USENET Newsgroups
  • news:rec.games.board.marketplace
  • news:de.markt.spiele
  • news:uk.games.board
    Internet auctions:
  • Ebay · Deutschland
  • Yahoo
  • Amazon.com
    Private Sellers
  • Steven Tavener
  • Board Game Locator
    Flea Market:

    6. Where can I find rules for out-of-print games?
    One good bet is to find the publisher and ask them. Even today Hasbro still provides rulesets for games from companies that they have acquired such as Milton Bradley, Parker Bros., Avalon Hill, Wizards of the Coast, etc.
    Should this fail, see:
  • AGPC Archive
  • BoardGameGeek
  • Central Connector
  • Darwin's Game Closet
  • Everyrule.com
  • Fantasy En'Counter (D, mostly wargames)
  • Marios Welt (D)
  • John McLeod's Card Games Website
         · Recently Invented Games
  • Spieltrieb (D)
  • Colin Stobbe
    Table of Contents
    1. What's going on with board games these days?
    2. How did we get here?
    3. Where can I find out more about all of these games?
      [Interact]
      [Webzines]
      [Magazines]
      [Translations]
      [Errata]
      [Databanks]
      [News]
      [Inventors]
      [Similars]
      [Mass Media]
      [General]
      [RSS Feeds]
    4. Which are the best games?
    5. Where can I buy out-of-print games?
    6. Where can I find rules for out-of-print games?
    7. Where can I find opponents in my area?
    8. How many new titles are published in a year?
    9. Follow this site on RSS
    10. How to add browser search of this site.
    11. Contacting this site/buying ads.

    Spotlight on Games
    spotlightongames.com