[Spotlight on Games]
Quick Reference for
Sat Dec 19 19:52:47 PST 1998
Hannibal: Rome v. Carthage (AH)
Sequence of Play
Battle Card Tally:
- Deal Strategy Cards
- Winter Attrition
- Political Isolation Removal
- Victory Check
Sequence of battle resolution:
- Change of Command die roll.
- Attacker declares battle-related cards.
- Defender declares other battle-related cards.
- Elephant charge declaration and charge die roll, unless elephant
fright immediately played before die roll.
- Deal BCs, display cards revealed by spy and begin battle.
(Some event cards are playable during the battle.)
Battle Deck Distribution
Notes (easily-omitted rules):
- Cannot avoid battle by moving to other player's control marker.
- Retreats cannot end on enemy CU's – continue on to a
friendly control marker or larger friendly force instead.
If you meet a smaller friendly force on the way, they
are swept up in the retreat. For the attacker, the
retreat path must start with the space from which he
- Every enemy marker or unit you enter during retreat loses
another strength point.
- The max retreat distance is 4.
- If you can't meet retreat rules, eliminated.
- No retreat by sea – eliminated instead.
- Campaign, Counter and Traitor cards do not break Truce.
- You can place control markers only by playing a strategy card.
You can place them in an empty space or flip them where
you have armies.
- Isolated control markers are removed. (Isolated armies tend to die.)
Please forward any comments and additions to this WWW-page to